Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pipes -- Peterson's System 303





One or two of my long time readers might remember I am a pipe smoker.  Pipes are one of my hobbies and as such something I don't get to enjoy as often as would like.  Moderation is key so I guess in this case it's not such a bad thing.  Over the past year I have determined that my favorite tobacco bowl is the Peterson's System Pipe 303.

This Premier grade System 303 is the latest addition to my small rotation.  I love the lighter stain and low gloss finish of this pipe.  The left side of the bowl and shank have beautiful straight grain brought out in dramatic fashion by a late August sun.

I have enjoyed a few half bowls in the pipe smoking slowly to gradually expose the briar to higher temperatures.  I don't have a set in stone method for breaking in a new pipe but for this classic Pete I am alternating between a favorite aromatic mixture and a brighter naturally sweet red Virginia and Turkish Izmir blend.

Un-Smoked!

The Peterson System pipe is a design over one hundred years old and still being produced and sold by the by the same company.  Amazing!  Just like my other 303's this one is a good smoker and a beautiful chunk of briar.   

Lastly the following pictures show close ups of the right side of the bowl.  This side of the pipe has birdseye and interesting character.






 

3 comments:

  1. Nice looking pipe! Now if they could only make a tobacco that tastes as good as it smells...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, RCT! Thank's for the pictures. I smoked pipe for 37 years and to stop smoking I had to bury my Petersons. Not easy, believe me but the doctors didn't want to operate me unless ... so ..
    In any case some 10 years later I wanted to dig them pipes up again to see if they had resisted the time. I could not find them any longer!
    So now that I just by chance bumped into your blog and saw your masterpiece of a pipe I was really happy!
    Thank's again RCT, good luck and greetings from Finland,

    Yours,
    Hannu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, i reaԁ уour blog occаsionally and i
    own a similar one and і was just wondering if you get a lοt of spam rеsponsеs?

    If ѕο hoω ԁο you prevent it, any plugin oг anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lаtely іt's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/user/cctvsecuritypros
    Feel free to surf my web site http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/user/cctvsecuritypros

    ReplyDelete