Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Milestones, Moms and Man's Best Friend



This past weekend I spent in Columbus, Ohio with my wife celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary.  For better or worse, rich or poor, in sickness and in health, boy ain't that the truth!  I also picked up a live flower and visited with my Mom on her day.  I always give my mother potted plants instead of cut flowers because she is an avid gardener and of course a lover of flowers. Amidst all that activity I still managed to chisel out a little time for a spin on the bike.  There is always time for a ride. 

My out and back loop took me into the flat farmlands west of town.  During it's third road ride the Motobecane felt as comfortable and fast as ever.  The bike's natural tendency to hold it's line was made evident once again when I sat up and removed my helmet to adjust the strap. As I rolled on down the road fumbling with my helmet I suddenly realized I wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to my bars or the front wheel.  My legs turned a lazy cadence and the bike just tracked forward in the direction of my last input.  I can ride all of my bicycles except the recumbent no-handed but only on the Motobecane have I been able to completely disregard the controls and let the autopilot take over.  My other bikes all exhibit twitchiness to some degree and require attentiveness and care while hands are off the bar.

Also during this ride I experienced my first two vicious dog chases of the season.  Nothing like a huge surge of adrenalin and that intense fight or flight sensation to remind you your alive.  I stopped at the hardware store after work on Monday and purchased a can of pepper spay.  Now I have a spicy little treat for the next Fido with an attitude.

So far three rides with a total elapsed saddle time of 4:43 has set the odometer at 74 miles.  Unremarkable I'm sure in serious cycling circles but I like to think not too bad for this 40 year old 40 hour a week desk jockey.

Out & Back Loop

Ride Time:  1:33
Distance:  24 miles
Average Speed:  15.4 mph
Max Speed:  28.7 mph
Motobecane Odometer:  74 miles



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on all counts! To my secret shame I can't bike worth a damn with no hands on the drops.

    ReplyDelete