Saturday, March 19, 2011

Recumbent Ride -- Lohr Road Loop



Finally I got away for a couple hours on my HP Velotechnik recumbent bike.  I love early spring rides on the recumbent and although the Lohr Road loop is a great route for the beginning of my riding season I do enjoy it all year around. 

The Picture above I took on Lohr Road looking south across the western end of the Clear Fork valley about eight miles from my driveway.  This end of the loop provides a healthy portion of hills without going overboard on an early season ride.  Adding more hills requires additional distance and ride time or packing up the car and driving to the bigger hills.


I saw this old 1950's flat bed Chevy.  The truck is in excellent shape for being half a century old.


I stopped at this Park along my route.  The small tract of land was donated by the owner to become a public space for people to enjoy.  A short stone covered walking path makes for a nice woodland stroll even in the wet springtime.




Often I fantasize about building up a light sub twenty-five pound recumbent bike that would undoubtedly allow me to increase my average speed over longer rides.  At 33 pounds the HP Velo Street Machine is no lightweight but what it offers in spades is all day comfort thanks to its well designed rear suspension and front air charged fork.  When the roads look like this as many of the county roads around here do I don't mind the extra five or ten pounds the suspension adds to the bike. 

The temperature was a perfect for riding 50 degrees and air was clean and fresh.  Soon field and forest will be coming alive with new growth and the first blooms of spring.  In my mind the Bicycle and it's ability to cover a lot of ground is one of the best ways to experience the changing seasons. 

Ride Time:   1:55
Distance:   23.75 Miles
Average Speed:  12.3 mph
Max Speed:  35.8 mph
   
Here is a link to the HP Velotechnik website:


2 comments:

  1. Love the first shot in this post. I imagine this is your point of view while riding. Looking at the long road and hill stretched out in the distance makes me wonder how steep inclines are on a recumbent. Is it odd/difficult/easier to climb a steep hill in a recumbent? For some reason I think about wheel flop...

    Looks like you enjoyed yourself. I am looking forward to some spring rides myself. Spring's on its way... though we got snow here in NY today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right Mike that's the cockpit view. And thanks for bringing up the climbing aspect. My recumbent can climb any grade. You just rely more upon your granny gear and spin your way up. On a diamond frame you can rock back and forth using your body weight turn the cranks and turn a bigger gear. On the recumbent you may only climb at 4 mph but you will make it.

    Bottom line is you will work climbing no matter what kind of bike you pedal uphill. On the recmbent I find climbing a tough yet attainable exercise. When you exert pressure on the cranks the action pushes you back against the seat. So it is different from the climbs you are used to on your mtb but because you locked back into the seat you can put all out effort into turning over the cranks.

    My theory on the recumbents can't climb myth is by nature of the comfortable seat. Non cyclists are drawn to the recumbent design because of this and of course if they don't have a solid foundation of riding under their belt they won't climb no matter what the bike. If you are an experienced cyclist and decide to ride a recumbent you will simply learn how to adapt to the design of the bicycle and as I have find yet another way to enjoy two wheels. And of course because of the laid back riding position the view is much better.

    ReplyDelete