Thursday, March 8, 2012

One-Room Schoolhouse -- Whetstone Township



Here's another schoolhouse I encountered late last summer on a recumbent ride out into the Ohio countryside.  The building now sits proud but somewhat neglected between some natural gas equipment and a farmer's grain silo.  Look closely my bike is leaning up against the silo in the far right. 


Visible at the peak of the roof is all that is left of the belfry or structure that once held the bell that called class to session at the beginning of the school day. 



While not technically a "cornerstone" as seen in other architecture the marble plaque set into the masonry clearly identifies the district and construction date after all these years.

WHETSTONE TP
SUB DIST NO 9
AD 1886



Documenting these old schoolhouses is a feature I have wanted to incorporate into this blog as an interesting glimpse back in time and yet another example of the cool stuff you can find by hopping on a bicycle and going for a ride.





4 comments:

  1. I find these old schoolhouses fascinating. Keep them coming!!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job and thanks, Mike! I say more old schoolhouse posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are your rides as fabulously quiet and peaceful as your pictures make them appear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, The only excitement I get is an occasional farm dog who wants to sprint. I guess I am pretty lucky.

      Delete